Saturday, January 28, 2017

Brian Forth and SiteCrafting

I found Brian Forths presentation to be very educational and I learned more of the software side, than Erik's more business related presentation which was perfect. I found it pretty inspiring that he was creating his business, "SiteCrafting" which teaching. I can't imagine working full-time in the near future and also sparing time for starting a business on the side, along with the rest of your life (family, friends, errands, etc.)

Brian's 3 C's that he preached throughout his presentation were very well explained. They consisted of core, company, and community. Throughout all of these three C's, the big idea that I took out of them was that most companies are all about money and not about relationships, so always be aware that it's a business. SiteCrafting is a business that is propelled by the commitment and loyal employees that he's hired. I personally am a big fan of the commitment work environment where leaving the company never enters employees heads. I think trust and gaining experience with a small group that changes very rarely is a huge advantage for companies.

I found it very interesting when he talked about how some of his employees were offered much higher salaries and benefits from Google but decided to stay at SiteCrafting. I think that says a lot about how important relationships, work environment, and how money isn't everything. Brian said "I want SiteCrafting to be a company where employees can expect to stay and retire." This approach is definitely different than some of the top software companies in the world but I personally think SiteCrafting's approach is morally correct, smarter, and rewards the company with happier and loyal employees on a daily basis.

In the future, SiteCrafting has a work environment that I am absolutely interested in and I feel that commitment and loyalty are underrated and can make or break companies. In the end, I thought Brian Forths presentation was very informative and helped me confirm what kind of company I'd like to work for in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment